28 April 2011
Transport Minister Sbu Ndebele on Wednesday said based on preliminary reports, it appears the road death toll has decreased compared to last year.
So far, 151 people have been killed on the roads since the beginning of the Easter weekend but final figures are expected on Thursday.
The worst accident recorded occurred on Monday when eight people were killed when a corsa and a golf smashed into each other in Rouxville, in the Free State.
Ndebele said they are starting to see a change in behaviour.
“South Africans are beginning to respond to our message on road safety and we are beginning to see some voluntary compliance,” said the minister.
[Story by Phakamile Hlubi appeared on Eyewitness News]
High traffic volumes contributed to high crash fatalities during Easter