Ask The Expert
If you have a question regarding road safety or any road related query, feel free to ask The Expert here.

Who is this Expert? The Expert will be specific knowledgeable people at the Department of Transport, Arrive Alive Communications, the Road Traffic Management Corporation or others who might have the expertise to answer the question.
Causing an accident and not having yout drivers licence on you By:Themba
Good day, I just wanna find out if there is law regarding driving without a license in your possession A friend of mine was bumped by a car that did not have breaks. She did not know anything about accident reports. Upon trying to assist I discovered that her license wasnt in her purse. The guy who bumped her couldnt give his license details until she gives hers (this wasnt at the scene of accident). I mentioned to him that she misplaced her license so he can only get it the next day if she finds it wherever she thought it was. This guy is now saying he has a case because she didnt have a license on scene but was not requested. He refuses to pay for the damages because of that. We opened the case with a license within 24 hours What does the law say? Does he have a case as he claims? If he does, what could be the resolution or penalty to this? Mind you: NO OFFICER REQUESTED THIS ON THE ACCIDENT SCENE Thanks

In terms of section 12(b) of the National Road Traffic Act, 1996 a person must always carry his or her licence with him or her while driving.

It is an offence not to have a licence present. However insurance companies normally only require you to have a licence. They are in general not concerned if you had it on your person. 
The fact that her licence was not on her should not affect her claim for damages. The Police may charge her for not having it on her but they seldom do that.
Alta Swanepoel and Associates
Signage on school buses By:Helen
Please advise what are the legal requirements for signage on school buses. Does the name of the school have to appear?

There are no specific provisions in the National Road Traffic Act. There are only provisions on the old school buses as far as dimensions, etc. concerned.


What the minimum legal limit that a tyre's tread depth must be? By:Gustav
Good afternoon Could you please tell me what the minimum legal limit that a tyre's tread depth may be for it to be roadworthy.

In terms of Regulation 212 of the National Road Traffic Act it states that no person shall operate on a public road a motor vehicle which is equipped with a regrooved tyre having a bead diameter of 430 millimetres / less. The law says your tyres must have at least a 1 millimetre tread and if it falls below that figure, you risk hefty fines and points on your licence. Some tyres have tread wear indicators in the tread pattern to show when the tread depth is less than 1.6 millimetres. In these cases, if the tread on the tyre is level with these indicators, the tyre must be replaced as it is considered unroadworthy.

Safety belts in minibuses By:Edward
Can you please assist with the clarification of safety belts in Mini Buses owned by schools. Must schools install safety belts in their mini busses? Is it a requirement of the Traffic Act? Your assistance will be appreciated.

Regulation 213 (e) f the National Road Traffic Act 93/1996 states that no person shall operate a minibus or midi bus, first registered after 1 January 2006, operating in terms of an operating licence issued in accordance with the provisions of the National Land Transitional Transport Act, unless seatbelts are fitted for the driver and all passengers.

If the vehicle is not operating under this licence then it is not required to have seatbelts for all passengers but for the interests of road safety and the protection of the children if the school wishes it can have seatbelts fitted for all passengers.

Vehicle width of bakkie By:Pieter
Can you please tell me what is the maximum vehicle width on a Bakkie because I ask a Traffic officer in the week and he said it is 2.5 meter.

223.     Overall width of vehicle
No person shall operate on a public road-
(a)     a bus of which the distance between the centre-lines of the tyres of the two front wheels exceeds one comma nine metres, if the overall width of such bus exceeds two comma six metres;
(b)     a goods vehicle the gross vehicle mass of which is 12 000 kilograms or more, if the overall width thereof exceeds two comma six metres; or
(c)     any other vehicle, if the overall width thereof exceeds two and a half metres.

Tell a Friend
Ask The Expert Now!

Display Name:  *
Real Name:  *
Email Address:  *
Topic:  *
Question:  *
Type the characters you see in the picture below.  *
Security Code:
Expert Blogs
GPS Navigation & Road Safety Blog Car Insurance, and important component in Road Safety Blog
Accidents Blog Road Safety Blog
Accidents Blog Road Safety Blog